Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Son, Mikaail

Mikaail was born in December 1998 after an almost fuss free pregnancy though I had to have lots of bed rest. I was away from work for almost 3 months prior to the delivery of Mikaail. He was due in January 1999 but when I went to my gynae for the routine check-up in December, the gynae told me that I would need to be operated on to take him out as he was in a breech position and would not be able to turn around to prepare for his arrival into the world on his own!

Actually I was quite happy to have the C-section as I wanted to be the first to hear his cries. I didnt want the hassle of him having to go through the birth channel and me having to bear the pain, etc, etc. But I was not prepared for this though so I was very worried. Anyway, when the gynae removed him from my womb and I heard his cries, I was so very happy!

The next few months was smooth sailing. I breast fed him, etc, and I felt like a damn cow! There was so much milk and at the same time, I felt very sticky each time I fed him and got really pissed that I stopped breast feeding him barely 6 weeks! I got in touch with the Breastfeeding support group but I just couldnt bring myself to continue feeding him without getting really fed up so to keep myself sane, I had to give up the idea. :(

When he turned 5 - 6 months old, I noticed that he did not bounce when I carried him by his arms and his legs on my thighs. I was a little worried as I was comparing his growth against a baby growth chart. Then I also noticed that when I left him on the bed, he would not turn nor would he crawl. I brought him to the pediatrician and she told me that I should not worry too much as each baby will grow at a different pace.

I searched for information on the internet but didnt get very much. I went to the library and found that babies who do not crawl nor much physical activities are heading in the direction of cerebral palsy. I was shocked but kept hoping that it would not be him but at one year old, he was diagnosed as cerebral palsy. What this means really is that I cant leave him to sit on his own without him toppling over unlike a normal baby! Of course I was devastated.

Doctor diagnosed him as having a mild cerebral palsy but if you think mild is ok - think again! What's worst is he is unable to fully use his 5 senses!

No comments:

Post a Comment