Sunday, January 9, 2011

Caregiver's Training

I've been wanting to write this post for awhile now but kept holding back as I had wanted to share the article on the transferring of the wheelchair person. 

Anyway, I came across an article on Caregiver's Training in one of TOUCH magazines last year and I was very keen to know more about what they can offer so I emailed them immediately.

I was pleasantly happy that they responded within a couple of days. I made arrangement for them to visit my home to guide my family and I on how to better care for my special needs son, Mikaail. My concern has been that as he is getting bigger and heavier, it is quite difficult to manage him in terms of his showering and toileting needs.

I'm not sure how many caregivers of special needs person actually know that there is annual government grant for this type of training. I didnt know it as well until I was in contact with TOUCH. Seems that there is an annual $200 grant allocated to the agency for providing the family with special needs person training on caring for him/her.

I did find the 2 hour session useful as it gave me a better understanding of how to care for him without putting too much pressure on my back. Usually I will just carry him when I need to transfer him from his wheelchair to the bed and vice versa. Now I guide him to extend his legs to reach the floor first before guiding him to the bed.

Here are the guidelines to transferring a wheelchair bound person.

No comments:

Post a Comment